Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Tom Blenkinsop MP (Middlesbrough South & East Cleveland)
Salary: £23,000 PA for 30 hour week
Tom Blenkinsop MP is seeking to appoint a Parliamentary Assistant to support his role as the MP for Middlesbrough South & East Cleveland, as a member of several Parliamentary Committees, and as an officer of All-Party Parliamentary Groups (APPGs).
The role is for 30 hours a week (Mon-Thurs), based in Tom’s House of Commons office, and will primarily be focused on his key areas of interest in Parliament.
The position requires flexibility from the post-holder as the demands of the role are determined in part by the Member’s workload and the Parliamentary timetable.
- Analyse, evaluate and interpret data to ensure Member is accurately informed on key issues
- Develop and maintain current knowledge of bills, Early Day Motions, legislation, Hansard, debates etc
- Diary Management
- Ensure the Member is fully briefed on potential questions and motions to be put to the house
- Give advice on policy issues
- Monitor media coverage and brief the Member on relevant issues
- Prepare and present briefing notes for committees, press releases, parliamentary questions etc
- Progress policy based casework
- Project management
- Provide generalist admin support
- Respond to routine correspondence and enquiries
- Undertake research, usually from readily available sources on straightforward subjects
- Communicate effectively with both internal and external contacts
- Liaise closely with colleagues in the constituency office to support Tom’s work
- Educated to degree level
- A keen interest in politics and current affairs
- Ability to work proactively and independently, as well as part of a small team
- Excellent research, analytical and communication skills, with keen attention to detail
- Strong organisational skills, with the ability to work quickly and flexibly, prioritising and completing tasks in a timely fashion
- Ability to remain discreet and maintain confidentiality at all times
- Excellent IT and database skills, knowledge of standard office practices
- Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Labour Party
- Previous experience of working in Parliament would be beneficial
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 6 May 2016
Interviews will take place in Westminster on 12th and 19th May, with the successful candidate starting as soon as possible after 31st May.
To apply for this post, please email a one page covering letter and your full CV with referees to firstname.lastname@example.org with PARLIAMENTARY ASSISTANT – YOUR NAME in the subject line.